Great Fake Beer Names
Being a guy, I love movie quotes. I really love them. A lot. It’s a weakness (or maybe a strength?) for just about every guy I know – friends and I can have entire conversations where nothing but movie quotes are passed around – no actual other words are used. Entire conversations. Really.
The fun part of course is trying to figure out what movie your friend just quoted and returning another quote from the same movie, if possible, to subtly let them know you know what they know. You know?
Well I recently got involved in a Twitter exchange with some of our Atlanta beer peers (or the ATL as we call it in, um, Charlotte) over at Monday Night Brewery after they posted a link to one of the all time great beer names: I’ll Have What the Gentleman on the Floor is Having Barley Wine (from the fine folks at McGuire’s Irish Pub in Florida). Well, the lads over at Monday Night Brewery are actually starting a brewery, so after that post they noted that they’re “tempted to rename all of our beer names ridiculously long sentences.” With that, the fun began.
I started out with a recommendation for “The Road Less Traveled And That Made All The Difference Pale Ale” and quickly realized what it was lacking: movie quotes. So we started a fun exchange of ideas that traveled along the lines of:
- What About That Time I Found You Naked With That Bowl of Jell-O Lager (from Real Genius)
- I’m Kind of a Big Deal Stout (from Anchorman)
- Roads? Where We’re Going We Don’t Need Roads Tripel (from Back to the Future)
- We Can’t Stop Here. This is Bat Country Hefeweizen (from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)
- I Hope You Have a Big Trunk Because I’m Puttin’ My Bike In It Doppelbock (from 40 Year Old Virgin)
- Warm Glass of Shut the Hell Up Barley Wine (from Happy Gilmore)
A great exchange of ideas, but were we done? Ha! After mentioning it to Father Beer Love our brains just kept on going and the fun was just getting started. We came up with a few other movie quotes:
- I’ll Have the Cream of Sum Yung Guy Rice Lager (from Wayne’s World)
- A Man’s Got to Know His Limitations Quadrupel (from Magnum Force)
- The Strain Was More Than he Could Bear Triple Stout (from Tombstone)
And Father Beer Love came up with a nice non-movie quote:
- Madam, You Are Ugly. In the Morning, I Shall be Sober London Porter (from Winston Churchill)
So let’s keep it going – let’s come up with some more quotes, both movie quotes and non movie quotes, that have an appropriate beer tied to them. Here’s a full list of beer styles (via Beer Advocate). Let’s have your best quotes – just post a comment below. Also – the gang at MNB is actually asking for help in naming their Belgian wit beer – if you want a real exercise in naming. If you want a fake one post away below.
31 Comments (Add Your Comments)
Want The BeerFathers Email Updates?
Enter your email address and you'll get an email every time we post a new entry (usually a few times a week):