Where to Buy Beer Online
List Last Updated: October 2011
We’ve all been frustrated at some point with the beers in our local market (Father Beer Love calls Shreveport/Bossier a vast “Stout Wasteland”). So what are your options if you who have a poor beer selection where you are or if you just want to find some good stuff that’s maybe not distributed in your area? Welcome to buying beer online!
Our beer pal Eli Shayotovich wrote an article many years ago on the top places to buy beer online. It was a great post that really opened my eyes on how to get beer online – unfortunately it’s no longer available.
So we decided to go ahead and put together a list of where to buy beer online based on our own experiences. I know I didn’t have a lot of knowledge on this before Eli’s article, and searching online really didn’t produce a ton of helpful links, so hopefully this can help you get started and save you a little time like Eli did for me. It’s worth noting that I’m not talking about “beer of the month club” sites, rather these are sites that you can go to and purchase exactly the beers you want.
- Half Time Beverage – Possibly the largest selection we’ve found online (around 1,800 beers). It’s not a liquor store, they only sell beer. Their online presence is pretty great too – search by brewery, country, color, style, ABV, and for us bitter Americans even by hop content. Lots of good brands: Brew Dog, Stone, Great Divide, Lagunitas, Avery, Hoppin Frog, Dogfish Head, Bear Republic, Mikkeller and even our beloved Theakston Old Peculier. Online beer ordering, a beer of the month club and their retail store has 12 taps running at all times. Great stuff. Based in Poughkeepsie, New York, a city still living off the buzz marketing campaign of John Cage’s character in Ally McBeal.
- Bierkraft – a really good selection, online beer ordering, reputable site. Probably between 400 and 500 beers available online. Based in Brooklyn, New York, where they operate a retail store as well.
- BottleTrek – About 500 beers to choose from and a pretty wide-ranging selection across the styles. Kind of hard to find certain beers on the site, but they’ve got good beer taste. Unlike most others on this list they don’t have a physical storefront, they just ship online. Based near Eugene, Oregon.
- Hi-Time Wine Cellars – It’s a wine store that has a little bit of everything, including hard liquor (one of the best scotch selections I’ve seen) and beer – lots of beer (well over 1,000 beers including some pretty unique stuff). Family owned and based in California and recommended by one of my readers.
- Shoppers Vineyard – It’s primarily a wine shop, but as we know there’s a lot of good wine shops that also do beer. Around 400 to 500 beers to choose from with online ordering. Based in Clifton, New Jersey, where they operate a retail store.
- Binny’s Beverage Depot – Good selection of beers (they bought out Sam’s Wine), but you can only get some of the beers online (some are marked “in-store only”). Based near Chicago, Illinois, where they operate 20+ stores.
- John’s Grocery – About 700 beers to order and a really great Belgian selection (about 125 beers). The site is kind of hard to navigate and it’s a little wonky as they publish the beer list and prices online but you can’t order online. You have to call them to order and they’ll only ship to select states. Based in Iowa City, Iowa.
- Archer Liquors – Mixed selection including Three Floyds, Hoppin’ Frog, Bell’s, Founder’s, Dogfish Head, Stone, Great Divide, Lagunitas and Bear Republic, but lots listed that you can’t buy. No online ordering either, you have to email them very specific directions. Based in Chicago, Illinois.
- BevMo! – A really respectable selection (well over 1,000 beers) with online beer ordering, real-time inventory and a lots of good photos. Based in Concord, California and they operate over 100 stores on the West Coast in California and Arizona. They only ship beer to California and Arizona though.
- BelgianShop – Exactly what you think it would be – focuses on Belgian beers with a great selection of stuff you’ve never heard of. About 700 beers total. Expensive, but worth it. Online beer ordering and they ship globally. Based in Verviers, Belgium.
- BeerBoxx – Very nice site focusing on only Belgian beers, with over 800 in stock. In addition to individual beers you can order themed beer boxes – such as a box of tripel, a box of trappist or a box of Gueuze. May be the best designed beer site we’ve seen. Online ordering with worldwide shipping. Based in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Beer Planet – Almost 1,000 Belgian beers to choose from. It’s not the prettiest site but the selection is immense. Online ordering and worldwide shipping. Based in Brussels, Belgium.
The BeerFathers’ personal favorite? It’s the BelgianShop where you can get some great Trappist Belgian beers and the appropriate glassware to fully enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed. Their selection is mind blowing – you can even find the rare Westvleteren Abt 12 (which we have ordered and tasted from them – wow), as well as stuff from Rochefort, St. Bernardus, Abbaye des Rocs, Hoegaardens you won’t find in the US, Belgian cheeses and a lot more. They actually ship from Belgium though, so your shipping and handling may be a tiny bit more than a standard order from say, Amazon.com.
A warning to those who read this: don’t come crying to us when you drop hundreds of dollars on your online beer orders, because, well, we’ve done the same thing.
And if you’re trying to find a beer to buy online and aren’t having any luck just leave a comment for us below and we’ll do our best to help you locate it. Please tell us where you are and we may be able to find somewhere local to get it.
Where to Buy Beer Online Rating: 3 out of 10 (?)
367 Comments (Add Your Comments)
Want The BeerFathers Email Updates?
Enter your email address and you'll get an email every time we post a new entry (usually a few times a week):